Tuesday 23 February 2010

Settling in and a little reflection

Well now things are starting to come together nicely. The beds have arrived (minus the correct ribs for one of them), coach and chairs are in place, very large dining table installed with small Danish flag in place at the end. The air conditioning units have arrived this evening and will be fitted tomorrow.

The lack of A/C has actually been fine as it cools at night and there are no mosquitoes. The only problem with sleeping with the window open is that even on a small, quiet, dead-dead road people insist on using their car horns early in the morning! Generally the horn is used entirely too much (I just heard one in the background as I typed that). I am not really sure if it is a lack of patients because all things seem to take so long in India that one would have assumed that people very INCREDIBLY patient or if it just derives from the fact that one needs to make oneself noticed to great ahead in this chaos.

Since I have written last, I have had the pleasure of meeting some very nice people here in Hyderabad. A friend of a friend who has studied in the UK has been so nice to show me around. It has also been so nice to speak to someone who bridges the gap between east and west. Last Friday I also went to the local expatriate society and meet some people who are in a similar position to my own, albeit with families and kids. I can already sense that what I have heard before: that expats take care of each other. Being around Indians constantly one sometimes feels as the “outsider”. Now as I am a social constructionist I do not adhere to the stance my native ways are better than the Indian native ways, but it is nice to be around people who can relate to having all these experiences with western eyes.

Now other interesting things that have happened… Haircut in India at a nice salon style place with a wash and the whole spiel: 40 kr. This was in what is probably the fanciest mall in Hyderabad. However if you want 500 ml of Mövenpick ice cream in a supermarket that’ll set you back about 75 kr. Hence Andrew and I could get out hair cut or we could share a tub of ice cream. The fact is I know we’d do both! I think in general I haven’t really gotten used to the money thing. I look at Rs. 100 note and think, oh that is like 100 Kr., but it just isn’t and I need to really get that into my head. Same thing that I get so angry when the rickshaw drivers try to rip me off for Rs. 30 and I should just LET IT GO. I can also feel that I need to start learning just absolute survival Hindi. I have gotten a couple of cool links that I will check out, but I just need internet at home first, which is something that should also fall into place soon too.

So yes, in general things are going well but I can feel that I still sometimes need to get a bit of perspective. I need to pick my battles and really sit back and smell the roses (or curry) and just enjoy the ride. Speaking of food, I can say that real Hyderabadi Biryani is amazing. At my local Biryani restaurant you get a portion big enough for 2 for Rs. 180 and it’s divine.

Now this is where I leave you for now. No pictures this time I’m afraid. I also need to get better at taking the camera with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment